Part 5 of Enjoying The Christian Walk and Living Without Regret
The Habit God Can Use To Change Your Life
There are two very different paths that Christians can walk down in life. We can either be on, what I’ll call, “The Path of Christian Fulfillment” (it’s a path we can see in Romans 12). Or we can be on, what I call, “The Path of Regret”. This is a path we get on when we choose to ignore our Christian character.
Today, I’ll be talking about both of these paths. And I’m particularly excited about sharing with you about the habit God has used to change my life.
In today’s episode:
- What the path of fulfillment looks like
- How to get off the path of regret
- Staying on the path of fulfillment: the habit God has used to change my life
- Short-term missions: interview with Wayne and Nancy Reigel
2 Different paths Christians can walk down in life:
– Path of Fulfillment (seen in Romans 12)
– Path of Regret (when we choose to ignore our Christian character)
The Path of Christian Fulfillment: [5:53]
A life where over and over again you and I are experiencing a satisfaction that comes from being used by God for eternal things.
It begins with dedication.
Dedication is not the same as salvation. Paul writes to people who are already Christians in this passage. He talked about getting saved earlier in Romans 10:9
We progress down this path as we renew our mind.
We replace the wrong way of thinking with the right way of thinking by filling our minds with God’s Word, and the teachings of God’s Word.
One way we experience Christian fulfillment is by serving God in the way that He wants us to serve and seeing God do amazing things as we serve.
The Path of Regret: [12:36]
It begins with ignoring our Christian character.
It’s called this because:
- Relationships suffer
- Bad decisions are made, and there are consequences
- There are missed opportunities in ministry
How to get back on the right path: [14:19]
- Don’t try to take shortcuts (acting as though you were never off the right path)
- Go back to where you did get off the right path, and deal with those choices
- Get right with God (1 John 1:9 ) Ask Him to forgive you.
- Get right with the people you have hurt (Matthew 5: 23-24) Ask them to forgive you.
Staying on the Path of Christian Fulfillment: [18:40]
This is the habit God has used to change my life!
Listen to this section at: [21:30]
The thought I need to replace is:
“I can do what I want. It’s my life. It’s my body.”
Replace the wrong thought with the right one:
When I face temptation, I can pray:
“God, my body is yours. Help me to honor you with it.”
Having a habit of replacing this way of thinking can help you and I to say NO to temptation and YES to making choices that honor God.
You are not alone in struggling with temptation. It is something all Christians everywhere face. But yielding to it does not have to be the norm! We want to turn from temptation on a regular basis-this can happen when we build up the habit of replacing wrong thoughts with right thoughts.
3 reasons why this is an effective habit: [26:36]
- We replace the wrong way of thinking with truth. (1 Corinthians 6: 19-20)
- We are reaffirming our dedication of Romans 12:1, letting God know we are still in agreement with this dedication
We are calling out to God for help
- This is not a habit of will power, but one that helps us move into an attitude of submission to God. In submitting to God there is protection from walking down the path of regret.
Missionary Interview: Wayne and Nancy Reigel talk about the value in short-term missions. [31:40]